Mode Analytics Learn SQL Learn Python Data Viz Analytics Dispatch Forum

The David Spade Index

NOT THAT SIMPLE
Don’t Become a Victim of One Key Metric
“[T]he search for one key metric at all for a complex ecosystem like Pinterest over-simplifies how the ecosystem works and prevents anyone from focusing on understanding the different elements of that ecosystem. You want the opposite to be true.” - Casey Winters

LOVE ME, LOVE ME NOT
The David Spade Index: Which Actors Are Hated by Critics but Loved by Fans?
Turns out critics LOVE Seth Rogen. Who knew? - Priceonomics

STATE OF MIND
Data Literacy, Product Design and the Many-Faced God
“Building a team that’s doing ‘cutting-edge research in deep learning, machine intelligence, and artificial intelligence’ is not easy—not in this hiring environment. But infusing data thinking throughout a company is orders of magnitude harder. This matters, because data thinking permeates your products and can make them feel ‘smart’—or not.” - Monica Rogati

RED STATE, BLUE STATE
Why I Believe That US Election Maps Should Show Electoral And Popular Votes
Because of the “winner take all” U.S. election system, electoral maps are a better representation of who will become president. But they hide how diverse the popular vote can be within each state. - Lisa Charlotte Rost

KNOWN UNKNOWNS
Exploratory Data Analysis: Widening Your View Point
Visualization is as instrumental for exploratory analysis as it is for communicating results. Here’s a framework for using visual techniques to interrogate your data.
- Statistics Views

New from Mode

Announcement: In NYC November 15-18? Join us for PlotCon, a four-day conference for data visualization in scientific computing, finance, business, and journalism. Mode Chief Analyst Benn Stancil will be speaking about how to build a flexible analytics stack. Swing by and say hi!

Blog posts: